Sunday 1 January 2012

Review: Hugo




So guys the first review I'll give you for the new year is "Hugo", Martin Scorsese's new film based on the Brian Selznick novel "The Invention of Hugo Cabret" which tells the story of an orphaned boy living in a train station in 1930's Paris where he's determined to finish an invention that his late father found and brought home to him and created by an old man who turns out to be the filmmaking revolutionary Georges Melies. The film itself has gorgeous imagery and is delightful and charming to watch however there is one problem and that is for a family film, and this is Scorsese's first family film and first 3D (yes it's in 3D) film, it tends to drag a bit and doesn't have a fast pace rhythm of adventure. But that being said it's beautiful to look at, performances are good and it has such an innocent feel to it that you cannot dislike it. That's how I felt although I did nearly fall asleep but that was just because I had a wild new year's eve party last night. But I liked it very much except for it's slowness and while I don't think it's a masterpiece I'm pleased to give "Hugo" a fair;

4/5-Very Good 

No comments:

Post a Comment