Monday 16 January 2012

The 69th Annual Golden Globe Award Winners and Review

Hey guys, in case none were aware but last night were the 69th Annual Golden Globe Awards which as you know are a lead up to the Oscars and give everybody in Hollywood a taste of what will win this year. From what I saw which are photos from IMDB, it was a pretty decent show, the right films won and everyone looked great really natural and perfect, the only downfall of it all was once again Ricky Gervais hosted. But don't let that put you off as the winners were really what made the night great. So in no particular order I'm very pleased to tell you who won and who were the runners up.

Best Animated Film Winner: "The Adventures of Tintin: The Secret of the Unicorn":
Steven Spielberg accepted the award as he should as "Tintin" really was the best animated film of last year, as I said before, and I cannot tell you how happy I was that it won. The runners up were; "Arthur Christmas", "Rango", "Puss in Boots" and "Cars 2". One thing however that I'm disappointed with this category is that "Kung-Fu Panda 2" wasn't nominated, but no matter as the award went to the right film.

Best Original Score Winner: Ludovic Bource for "The Artist":
I was so unbelievably happy that "The Artist" won because the music, I am just in love with the music. It captures the pure essence of 1920's Hollywood and is just so gorgeous and charming and just delightful. Ludovic Bource did such an incredible job for such a beautiful, beautiful film. By the way if you still haven't seen "The Artist" please do, you will not regret it. And also download this gorgeous music to the film. The runners up were "The Girl with the Dragon Tatoo" from Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross who also did "The Soical Network", "War Horse" from the legendary John Williams, "Hugo" from Howard Shore who also scored "The Lord of the Rings Trilogy" and Madonna's new film "W.E." from Abel Korzeniowski which I have not seen or heard. I would of liked to have seen "Girl with the Dragon Tatoo" win or "War Horse" or "Hugo" I suppose but I think "The Artist" rightfully deserved it.

Best Screenplay Winner: Woody Allen for "Midnight in Paris":
Oh my god, I was jumping up and down in happiness inside because I don't think they made a better decision. Woody Allen truly deserves this award as the script for the wonderful "Midnight in Paris" is well... wonderful. Also if you still haven't seen "Midnight in Paris", again see it when it comes out on DVD and I won't tell you what it's about, you have to see the film to find out and as I said before, be surprised like I was. In fact I think that's why it won the award because it surprised everyone, the script that is. The runners up were "The Artist", "The Descendants", The Ides of March" and "Moneyball". It would of been nice to have seen "The Artist" win but again I am more then happy that "Midnight in Paris" won, such a perfect choice. Sorry to keep repeating myself.

Best Director: Martin Scorsese for "Hugo": 
I'm kind of happy and kind of not happy with this decision because don't get me wrong I thought "Hugo" was a good film but I didn't think it was a masterpiece as everyone thought it was. I'm happy Martin Scorsese won but I did think they were some better runners up who could of won such as Woody Allen for "Midnight in Paris" and Michel Hazanavicius for "The Artist". Also nominated were George Clooney for his film "The Ides of March" and Alexander Payne for his upcoming film which stars George Clooney called "The Descendants" which I am very excited to see. So I'm a little bit 50/50 on this decision but at the same time I'm very pleased Martin Scorsese won because even though "Hugo" is not one of his masterpieces, he is still one of the greatest directors all time.

Best Performance by an Actor in a Musical or Comedy: Jean Dujardin in "The Artist":
Again I couldn't be more then happier when Jean Dujardin won for his outstanding performance as George Valentin in "The Artist". He can just pull off playing a silent movie actor of the 1920's at have so much charm and so much emotion he is just so incredible to watch as an actor and he was just... I'm sorry but you have to see "The Artist" to see what I'm talking about. Anyway the runners up were Brendan Gleeson in "The Guard", Joseph Gordon Levitt in "50/50", Ryan Gosling in "Crazy, Supid, Love" and Owen Wilson in "Midnight in Paris". I would of liked to have seen any of those actors win the award but really Jean Dujardin so deserved the award.

And finally;

Best Motion Picture for Musical or Comedy: "The Artist":
I was smiling for joy once again because they could not of made a better decision. It was up against "Bridesmaids", "50/50", "Midnight in Paris" and "My Week with Marilyn". So happy with the choices they made and gave the right awards to this marvellous film.

Anyway all those were for films I've seen but the other winners were;

"The Descendants" for Best Motion Picture Drama
(Runners Up: "The Help", "Hugo", "The Ides of March", "Moneyball" & "War Horse"),
George Clooney for Best Performance by an Actor in a Drama for "The Descendants"
(Runners Up: Leonardo DiCaprio in"J. Edgar", Michael Fassbender in "Shame", Ryan Gosling in "The Ides of March" & Brad Pitt in "Moneyball".) ,
Meryl Streep for Best Performance by an Actress in a Drama for "The Iron Lady"
(Runners Up: Glenn Close in "Albert Nobbs", Viola Davis in "The Help", Rooney Mara in "The Girl with the Dragon Tatoo" & Tilda Swinton in "We Need to Talk About Kevin"),
Michelle Williams for Best Performance by an Actress in a Musical or Comedy for "My Week with Marilyn"
(Runners Up: Jodie Foster in "Carnage", Charlize Theron in "Young Adult", Kristen Wiig in "Bridesmaids" & Kate Winslet in "Carnage"),
Christopher Plummer for Best Performance by an Actor in a Supporting Role for "Beginners"
(Runners Up: Kenneth Branagh in "My Week with Marilyn", Albert Brooks in "Drive", Jonah Hill in "Moneyball" & Viggo Mortensen in "A Dangerous Method"),
Octavia Spencer for Best Performance by an Actress in a Supporting Role for "The Help"
(Runners Up: Berenice Bejo in "The Artist", Jessica Chastain in "The Help", Janet McTeer in "Albert Nobbs" & Shailene Woodley in "The Descendants") ,
"Masterpeice" from "W.E." by Madonna, Julie Frost & Jimmy Harry for Best Original Song in a Motion Picture
("Lay Your Head Down" from "Albert Nobbs" by Brian Byrne & Glenn Close, "Hello, Hello" from "Gnomeo and Juliet" by Elton John & Bernie Taupin, "The Living Proof" from "The Help" by Mary J. Blige, Thomas Newman, Harvey Mason Jr. & Damon Thomas and "The Keeper" from "Machine Gun Preacher" by Chris Cornell)
&
"A Separation" for Best Foreign Film
(Runners Up: "The Flowers of War", "In the Land of Blood and Honey", "The Kind with a Bike" and "The Skin I Live In").


So they you have it the list of winners and the runners up. Now guys if you'd like to comment below and  give me your views, did they make the right decisions or not?





No comments:

Post a Comment